Friday, July 31, 2009

Iowa 09 - Tue 7/7

This was a fun, but sad day :(
Our last day in Iowa. I was busy most of the morning and afternoon packing our suitcases.
I did, however, make time for a much needed Chick-fil-a break! :)

(original with extra pickels and waffle fries and lemonade, in case you were wondering ;)

The kids watched a couple videos and rode the horse while I packed, Dan was over at his parents, and Mom and Kevin had a few things to take care of.

Then in the afternoon, Grandpa took the kids out back to use their bubble wands from Uncle Danve and Aunt Jacque. (Grandpa supplied his own bubble wand!)











We held our "goodbye" Supper at Ryan's Steakhouse.
(Trey and Jesse - remember going here with Mom when we were little? Then honey buns, the ice cream bar, and laughing so hard we would make people around us stare?!)
Ryan's had a separate back room that we were able to claim as our own. It worked out very well.
Ethan, Grandma Collingwood, Kaylin


Great Gma and Gpa Van Dee and Grandpa Collingwood


Uncle Chris, Aunt Christina, Aunt Jacque, Uncle Dave
(Dave officially approves of this picture!)


Dan, Britt, Grandma, Krystin, Grandpa


What good is a buffet if you can't fully utilize the dessert bar???







And what do 3 children hyped-up on sugar do?
Why, dance in the middle of the tables, of course!


Mom (Penni) took this side view shot. I think it turned out better than the face-on shots.

We stayed at Ryan's a long time visiting. Fortunately Gma Collingwood remembered the cards.
Ethan re-taught Great-Gma Van Dee Card Golf.

What was Krystin doing while the others played cards?
Perfecting the "spoon-on-nose" trick.
Can I make money off this somehow???

If I do make money, I would owe it all to these two goofies.
(Krystin's instructors in the fine arts)


Cuddles of thanks for Aunt Jacque :)




Group shot of the adult Collingwood Clan
(thanks, Mom)



Still talking
Dan had a nice visit with his Grandpa


Others joined in



I thought it would be nice to get a pic of the kids with their Great Grandparents.
I don't know why I thought this would work. It was getting late and my children were crashing from their previous sugar high....
... but I tried.....
... the following 4 shots I tried.




The only way I got any decent shot at all was thanks to "Chippy the Squirrel" ...
... AKA "Grandma"
This methon somehow worked better than my exhasperated threat of a spanking to Ethan.
Yes - one of my finer Mommy-moments. It was a very good thing Chippy was there!
(Side note: It was Uncle Dave who - trying to help, but only inciting the children-was causing Ethan to make funny faces) ;)

These 2 were oblivious to the picture troubles as they were lost in fun Father-Son conversation


Finally, goodbyes had to be said :(






I choke up whenever I look at these goodbye photos.
It was SO good to see family.
It was so hard to say goodbye. Not just becuase I would miss them, but more so because my children would miss them, too.
I wish my kids could see their wonderful Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles more.
But I am confident that we are where God wants us for the moment, and that is a little consolation.... a little.
Thanks for the memories, Iowa relatives!
We love you and miss you already!














2 comments:

kpjordan said...

We miss all of you, too!!! We are so grateful for whatever time we do have together. Maybe next time you can come for a whole month! You know where you have a rent-free apartment...and free sitters for the kids. What other vacations spots can you get those kind of perks?

Senegal Daily said...

Again I would like to say that I really think Kaylin looks like Penni.

Goodbyes are so hard. I'm glad you guys were able to go though. Just think... in about 15 months, we'll be there too!